[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri May 27 07:23:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>> Dear Simon Glass,
>>
>> In message <BANLkTikWwuymrJtMEHBZkvNgNBK1e=RdWA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we have a microsecond one also please? Some sort of microsecond
>>
>> I guess you cannot, at least not in general.  In worst case that would
>> mean we have to process 1e6 interrupts per second, which leaves little
>> time for anything useful.

Sorry Wolfgang I don't really understand this. We would only process
when we read it, and then hopefully only a simple multiple or shift,
after compiler optimizations kick in. Probably I am just missing what
you are saying.

> If we implemented a sync_us_timer(), we could either:
>
>  a) Never kick it using an interrupt at all (only kick it in udelay())
>  b) Kick it in a much slower interrupt (1ms+ period)
>
> Remember, the kicking of the sync function does not need to correlate to
> the incrementing of the tick counter - Only to the roll-over period
> of the tick counter.
>
> For a 64-bit sub microsecond tick counter, interrupts will probably not
> ever be needed (unless the tick frequency is ludicrous - even a nanosecond
> tick counter will take 213 days to wrap) so in this case, sync_us_timer()
> would be fine

Hi Graeme,

Well yes, I feel that you either worry about rollover or you use
64-bits. Since you are using 64-bits it shouldn't matter.

I hope we can avoid integer division in the microsecond case. Someone
stated that time delays are the main use for the timer, but some of us
have performance-monitoring plans.

Re the atomicity of handling 64-bit numbers, how about just
disable/enable interrupts around this? I think 64-bit is overkill but
at least it is simple, and prefer a u64 to a struct { u32 lo, hi; }.

Regards,
Simon