[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 27 09:33:24 CEST 2011

Dear "J. William Campbell",

In message <4DDF2072.5090802 at comcast.net> you wrote:
> The problem is that the way we previously detected wrapping does not
> work if the interrupt rate is == to the counter wrap time, which it
> essentially always is. If get_ticks is trying to update the wrap count

You ignore the fact that this is only ever a problem when the rollover
cannot signal through an interrupt or similar.  Also, some processors
allow daisy-chaning of timers, etc.

Again, I would really like to know about how many exotic systems we
are talking that fulfil your worst-case expectations.  I bet the
overwhelming majority behaves absolutely harmless.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.