[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Fri May 27 15:07:18 CEST 2011

Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang
>
> On Friday, May 27, 2011, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>> Dear Graeme Russ,
>>
>> In message <BANLkTik2SUm4Sm8aLjCrCmz+kcMGWgEzKw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>> Besides, Nios can return an increment of 10 (presumably ms) between
>>> two immediately consecutive calls. This causes early timeouts in CFI
>>> driver
>> Now this in turn is a bug in the timer implementation that needs to be
>> fixed.

And this is what reset_timer() corrected.

> Agreed, but that is not something I can achieve - I don't want to hold
> up this whole show that we have all put so much effort into for the
> sake of one weak function

And I don't want to see something that currently works become broken
because we "improved" a feature ... simply because the resolution of
the timestamp is 10 msec rather than 1 msec.

And just to be clear. This is not a Nios issue. Currently, if the
timestamp is incremented via a fixed period interrupt, and the period
of the interrupt is longer that 1 msec, calls to get_timer() may
produce early timeouts ... regardless of platform.

--Scott