[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri May 27 17:13:37 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM, J. William Campbell
<jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Hi All,
>     A more precise statement of the problem is that all timer delays
> may be shortened by the timer resolution. So this means that if you have
> a timeout of 1 ms in your get_time(0) {   } while ( ... < 1), then your
> actual delay may be anywhere between 0 and 1 ms. The problem arises when
> some piece of common code uses a delay of say 8 millisec, expecting the
> actual delay to be between 7 and 8. If the resolution is 10 ms, the
> delay will be between 0 and 10 ms, 0 being particularly bad. This can be
> fixed in get_timer, making the 8 ms delay  become a minimum of 10 ms at
> the expense of it becoming up to 20 ms sometimes. Since these delays are
> used mostly for error conditions, making them longer will probably be
> ok, and doesn't require changing any of the common code. It probably
> will not make things slower either, because the error timeouts should
> not be reached. The reset of the hardware timer would cause all "short"
> delays to become 10 ms. This reset approach is bad in that it prevents
> proper nesting of timing loops. However, in this case it isn't so bad,
> in that the nested loops are just extended, not shortened. Note that if
> the reset is only resetting the HARDWARE interrupt generator, not the
> actual timestamp itself, we are just extending all existing timeouts by
> 0 to 10 ms.. So this just lengthens all pending timeouts. The other fix
> is in my opinion nicer, because it affects the nest loops less. If the
> inner loop is executed 100 times, with the reset, the outer loop timeout
> is extended by up to 1000 ms.
>
> Best Regards,
> Bill Campbell

Hi Bill,

Yes I agree that this is ugly - I didn't realize that this is what
reset_timer() does, but I think these 10ms platforms should have to
live with the fact that timeouts will be 0-10ms longer than hoped.
Perhaps reset_timer() should become a non-standard board thing that is
deprecated. Really if you have a 10ms timer and are asking for a 10ms
timeout you are being a bit hopeful.

But perhaps this argues for a function to check timeouts - at the
moment get_timer() returns the time since an event and it is used at
the start of the loop and the end. Perhaps we should have:

#define TIMEOUTMS 2000

stop_time = get_future_time(TIMEOUT_MS);  // Returns current time +
TIMEOUT_MS + (resolution of timer)
while (get_timer(stop_time) < 0)     // (I would much prefer while
(!timed_out(stop_time))
   wait for something
}

Regards,