[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 31 08:10:46 CEST 2011

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4DE47EA1.1090100 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> All you can throw into the timer discussion is critics and pointless remarks,
> but I miss any productive input from you except sometimes pointing out how
> powerpc does it.

Thanks you very much.

> We DO have most of the tick based functions in the current API...

There are a number of good reasons NOT to use ticks on the external
API level.  They have been explained before.  Go and re-read the
archived.

> And as it seems, the current ms based API is a Pandora's box of problems:
> - granularity problems in some hardware
> - early timeouts that need complicated solutions inside the loop
> - complicated algorithms to convert a natural, non-ms tick into ms values
>
> All this would go if the timer would be left in natural ticks of the hardware
> and simple helper functions be used to convert to and from that to ms, if so
> desired:

You obviously ignore a lof things here.  I will not repeat all the
stuff again for you.  Go and re-read the thread.

> Perhaps just too simple and too brilliant...

It's a shame others don't agree blindly, isn't it?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I think there's a world market for about five computers.
         -- attr. Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board, IBM), 1943