[U-Boot] [u-boot]automatic reset of variables to defaults

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 17 19:17:56 CET 2011

Dear Dennis Borgmann,

In message <4EC52BD7.2090202 at googlemail.com> you wrote:

> I am experiencing a problem concerning variables being set and later
> getting lost.

It is impossible to comment on this without knowing _anything_ about
your system - which exact version of U-boot you are running
(well, obviously it is an ot-of-tree port, so it's twice impossible to
help), which CPU / SoC tthis is, which board, etc.

> These are the steps, that I take:
>
> [code]
> setenv OS_SDRAM 0x21000000

This makes no sense to me, as none of the mainline versions of U-Boot
uses such a setting.

> Sometimes, the bootloader looses this configuration and resets its
> variable "OS_SDRAM" back to its default value. Once, the bootloader has

What are the exact circumstances and especially the exct error
messages when this happens?

Where is the environment stored on your board? [In NOR or NAND flash
or ... ?]

Are you using redundant environment?

> 1. What else might be the cause of this?

We don't know your code, so how could we comment?

> 2. How could I prevent u-boot from resetting to its default value?

We don;t understand the nature of the problem, so how could we
recommend a cure?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE:  This Product Contains  Minute Electrically
Charged  Particles  Moving  at  Velocities  in Excess of Five Hundred
Million Miles Per Hour.