[U-Boot] [GIT PULL] Pull request: u-boot-staging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 23 17:01:58 CET 2011

Dear Igor Grinberg,

In message <4ECCB840.9050700 at compulab.co.il> you wrote:

> > Because I am not the author of the patches, I do not add my Signed-off,
> > and I do the same for u-boot-imx, where I am the custodian. As far as I
> > know, all custodians are doing in the same way.
>
> I see... Is there a U-Boot policy regarding this somewhere?

Nobody bothered yet to write down such a thing, so we all go on as we
started some time in the past.

> Because in Linux every person involved in pushing patches
> should add an SOB to the commit message.

The question is how you define "pushing".
"Documentation/SubmittingPatches" says:

|         By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
|
|         (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
|             have the right to submit it under the open source license
|             indicated in the file; or
|
|         (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
|             of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source
|             license and I have the right under that license to submit that
|             work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part
|             by me, under the same open source license (unless I am
|             permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated
|             in the file; or
|
|         (c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other
|             person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified
|             it.
|
|         (d) I understand and agree that this project and the contribution
|             are public and that a record of the contribution (including all
|             personal information I submit with it, including my sign-off) is
|             maintained indefinitely and may be redistributed consistent with
|             this project or the open source license(s) involved.
|
| then you just add a line saying
|
|         Signed-off-by: Random J Developer <random at developer.example.org>

(a) and (b) don't apply here, and (d) is not relevant in this context.
So the question is if (c) applies, or not.

My personal point of view is that someone who just applies a patch
(without any changes) from the mailing list or from PatchWork does not
have to sign it.

If it were the other way round, I would have a problem for example
when I use "git pull" or "git merge" to apply commits from a
custodian's repository - neither "git pull" nor "git merge" provide
ways to sign such an action - not to mention that then I would have to
sign all included commits, too.

But maybe I'm just misinterpreting...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare  a  good  impromptu
speech.                                                  - Mark Twain