[U-Boot] About the volatile data type in include/net.h

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 23 23:26:03 CET 2011

On Monday 21 November 2011 22:06:37 Macpaul Lin wrote:
> I have found there are some variables declared as volatile in
> include/net.h. Some of them are used as in send and receive functions.
> Since some of them seems won't be update by hardware, like sending
> functions. Should we check and clean them up?
>
> For example, the send function in eth_device has a volatile type
> points to buffer.

we should be able to drop the volatile markings on the packet buffers.  i
imagine it dates back to when cache/dma wasn't handled properly, so making all
of the accesses hit the external memory made things work "better".

drivers should be fixed to properly flush any packets before sending them out to
the peripherals via dma.
-mike