[U-Boot] M5282EVB undefined reference to `environment'

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 25 06:42:10 CET 2011

Dear James Steward,

In message <4ECED2F2.8040309 at inchipdesign.com.au> you wrote:

> I guess the variable environment is not defined, but where should it be
> defined?  There are a lot of hits when I search.

When embedding the environment, you must set up a specific memory mep.
This is done in the linker script, so this definition is usually found
there.

> After building a multitude of open source projects for x86 and cross
> compiling for ARM, including cross compiling the Linux kernel and
> writing some simple kernel drivers, and writing bare metal code for the
> likes of the STM32 and including CanFestival, for example, U-boot has
> been the most frustrating and difficult project for me to build and make
> work of all.  Is it because there are too many board ports contributed
> but not maintained?

Out-of-tree code is always a pain. But the real problem comes from the
complexity of the hardware we have to deal with in the boot loader.
After all, we have to do all the low-level initializations all higher
software levels (including Linux) just take for granted.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de