[U-Boot] [RFC/PATCH] davinci: disable dcache on boards with EMAC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 27 19:43:01 CET 2011

Dear Tom Rini,

In message <CA+M6bX=F0s3yuxZDnR+x0adi+eiE2dHW2qxZoDie_U7xSRkWMQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > For example, booting from NAND is probably MUCH faster with caches on.
> > Why should we make this slower than necessary?
>
> To encourage someone with the domain knowledge to finish cache support
> for the processor?

That would be unfair.  If you want to push for fixes, then push the
where the problems are coming from.  If it's the EMAC driver, then
let's disable the EMAC driver until it gets fixed.

Alternatively, let's add enough fixes to make it compile, and have
people switch cahces off before using the driver.

Having _everybody_ suffer fromt hat is, well, unfair.

> > We cannot _compile_ the driver?  That's even worse and needs to be
> > fixed.
>
> That's what this patch was doing, by disabling the cache so it would
> build.  To be clear, today it builds but doesn't work with cache on.

NO, it is NOT a fix. It is a dirty workaround that makes everybody
suffer, even if he is not interested in this driver at all.

Rather disable the driver in the config files.

Hm... actually I don't understand you.  First you write: "we can't
compile the driver", then you write "it builds but doesn't work with
cache on".

Well, it it builds, then we should be able to do a "dc off" before
running the driver, and eventually it would work then?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Just about every computer on the market today runs Unix,  except  the
Mac (and nobody cares about it).                   - Bill Joy 6/21/85