[U-Boot] Attn Maintainers: git advise needed (how to fix messed up repo)

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Nov 29 00:13:03 CET 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 18:05:00 Graeme Russ wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 28 November 2011 17:31:19 Graeme Russ wrote:
> >> $ git fetch u-boot
> >> $ git rebase u-boot/master
> >> $ git push ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86
> >> To ssh://gu-x86@git.denx.de/u-boot-x86
> >>  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
> >
> > well, you did a rebase, so this is kind of par for the course.  use
> > --force to rewrite the published branch.
>
> So how do you keep the sub-repo up-to-date with u-boot/master without
> doing forced pushes?

you don't :).  the way *i* work is to keep my changes in my own branch that i
rewrite, and then once i want to send that to Wolfgang, i publish the updated
master branch for him to pull from.

i think the u-boot wiki has a "suggested maintainer workflow", but i haven't
looked too hard at that as i like (logically) how i do things now.
-mike