[U-Boot] uboot to load uboot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 29 08:00:38 CET 2011

Dear Sridhar Addagada,

In message <1322545120.45725.YahooMailNeo at web120206.mail.ne1.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Here is a scenario, i have a working version of the u-boot on my
> board, and am trying my changes.  Am not sure it is going to freeze
> the board, so would like the present version to load the new version
> for testing before it can be burned to flash.  Is it possible to do
> this or is it already done?

In the strict sense, this usually cannot be done - one of the most
critical parts (that most oftenly is incorrect and thus bricks your
system) is the low-level initialization, like initializing the memory
controller.  And you usually cannot re-do this while already running
from RAM.

Note that this is covered in the FAQ:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  How many DEC repairman does it take to fix a flat ?
A:  Five; four to hold the car up and one to swap tires.