[U-Boot] Can I boot at image from a jffs2 filesystem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 9 20:59:14 CEST 2011

Dear Owain,

In message <0E168E936A32D3409718AD71277AFE2109880855BD at MCHP057A.global-ad.net> you wrote:

> I am trying to squeeze new features onto a uboot based system where we have>  run out of flash.
> In tandum with general optimisation of apps, removal of redundant code etc > I wanted to rework our boot schema to reclaim some free space in other part> itions.

Please trim your line length to some 70 characters or so.

> 1) Reduce size of kernel partition and increase that of root partition.
> 2) modify boot to boot kernel from jffs2 root partition.
>
> I favour option 2 as this means we maximise flash utilisation; all free spa> ce lands in root partition.
>
> But can uboot boot a kernel from a JFFS2 partition?

Yes, it can.  But you usually do not want to do that.  Mounting
(large) JFFS2 file systems takes considerable time, and you don't
really want to have this delay twice - both in U-Boot and in Linux.

> Such a boot schema does not seem to be documented anywhere?

No.  Why should it be specifically documnted?  Loading a file from a
file system is not exactly rocket science...

BTW: you might consider moving from JFFS2 to UBIFS...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the  soap,
and much more difficult to find ...     - Terry Pratchett, _Sourcery_