[U-Boot] checkpatch compliance

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 12 19:57:43 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 12 October 2011 03:36:46 Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> > > Actually this is IMO wrong.  Should it not be "/nfs/root/path"
> > > instead?
> >
> > no.  please look at all the code that uses MK_STR() in the tree.
>
> Yes.  The MK_STR() should be cleaned up as well, of course.

some of these can be converted away (like CONFIG_ROOTPATH), but MK_STR()
itself cannot go away as we have some defines which normally get used as
numbers but we want to embed as a string into the env.  like CONFIG_BAUDRATE.

back to the topic at hand, i don't think we should be keeping out new board
ports because a much larger tree-wide issue exists.  cleaning up things like
CONFIG_ROOTPATH, while i think is fine, is non-trivial for most people, and is
certainly way more than the new or even semi-regular contributor can tackle.

perhaps we should start a top level TODO file where we can start logging all
the known items we want to get done, and for people who feel like tackling
something crazy, they can pick off items from there.  and for people who are
submitting new boards and see these warnings, they can consult the top level
TODO to see that "ok, it's a known issue, but i can ignore it in my specific
patchset for now".
-mike