[U-Boot] sparc and .udiv/.rem/.urem/.umul/etc... link errors

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Wed Oct 19 11:05:22 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 05:44 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 13 October 2011 04:45:27 Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
>> On 10/13/2011 07:33 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> it seems that these symbols are usually implemented in the C library on
>>> sparc systems, but under u-boot, we don't have that luxury.  Linux
>>> itself simply imports the relevant asm files from glibc into their lib
>>> subdir.  without these, building u-boot for sparc targets with sparc
>>> linux compilers fail.  any desire to make this work ?  or just continue
>>> to force everyone to install a dedicated sparc-elf compiler ?
>> The .udiv/.rem ... functions are implemented by libgcc
> that is target dependent
>
>> Sparc-linux toolchains will generate ELF binaries for Linux, that is not
>> what we want?
> the file format is fine, but the supplementary libgcc for sparc-linux targets
> does not include these symbols.  it relies on the C library to provide them.
>
> glibc sparc system:
> $ readelf -s /lib/libc.so.6 | grep '[.]u'
>    1231: 000f41e0    20 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT   10 .urem@@GLIBC_2.0
>    1369: 000f41a0    12 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT   10 .udiv@@GLIBC_2.0
>    1557: 000f4160    20 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT   10 .umul@@GLIBC_2.0
>
> and if you look at gcc's source tree in gcc/config/sparc/t-*, you'll see that
> these libgcc routines are included for elf and leon targets, but not linux.
>
> so whenever i build u-boot using a sparc-linux-gnu cross-compiler, it fails to
> link due to missing these symbols.  if i use sparc-elf, it links fine.

Ok I see. I'm not a GCC guru, but my sparc-linux- toolchain (built with crosstool-ng) has a libgcc.a in lib/gcc/sparc-leon-linux-gnu/4.4.2 which includes the .mul/.div functions. I guess that is not
the sparc-linux target but sparc-leon-linux though. Could we use 'sparc-linux-gcc -print-libgcc-file-name' in u-boot?

Daniel