[U-Boot] Patchwork question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Oct 28 22:36:40 CEST 2011

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4EAAE366.7050204 at aribaud.net> you wrote:

> State changing should be done by the person who causes the change -- >
> change requester or custodian -- as this is the only person that really >
> knows for sure what the state change should be.

Well, Patchwork often guesses wrong, and manual cleanup is needed.  If
a patch submitter sees his patch has been committed, and it is still
marked as "new" in PW then such cleanup would help us maintainers.

> Wolfgang uses tools to automate transitions to "Applied" when he applies
> a patch or pull request -- I am looking into using these too.

...but this suferes from the known PW issues.

> > Also, should I delegate patches to custodians that I believe should be
> > looking at them?  Or should custodians delegate patches to themselves?
>
> Le the custodians delegate as they see fit.

Fact is that many don;t do this, or not regularly at least.  I'd
rather see all patches assigned to someone, even if incorrectly.  The
custodian will recognize soon enough that it's not for him, and
reassign.

If a patch is assigned, it's on somebody's todo list, asking for
action.  If it's left unassigned, it's in nowhere land where nobody
feels responsible.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I don't care if you *ARE* on a bondage-and-discipline  post-technical
system  pawned off by the nation's largest oughta-be-illegal monopoly
who cannot escape the sins of their forefathers -- namely, using  the
wrong  slash for directories when the C language and its brethren use
it for something else that's very important.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <55oabg$1j1$1 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>