[U-Boot] Custodian branch base commits

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sat Nov 3 12:49:02 CET 2012

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:56:08 -0600, Stephen Warren
<swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:

> >> Hopefully, u-boot-arm/master will merge in (or get reset to)
> >> u-boot/master fairly shortly. However, should Tegra's repo have
> >> to wait for this?
> >
> > Yes, tegra has to wait otherwise you've just forced u-boot-arm into
> > a re-sync with master and now u-boot-arm can't where problems came
> > from, be it your tree or master.
>
> That is only true if the pull request sent to u-boot-arm from
> u-boot-tegra is sent or processed before u-boot-arm pulls in the
> u-boot commit that u-boot-tegra was based upon.
>
> In other words, I don't think this issue requires that leaf repos be
> based on a commit that's already in their immediate upstream repo, but
> rather that leaf repos don't send a pull request to their upstream
> repo until the leaf repo's baseline commit is included in their
> upstream repo.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but if e.g. u-boot-tegra/master dependsn on some
commits from u-boot/master that are not already in u-boot/arm, then
when I fetch u-boot-tegra/master, these commits will automatically get
fetched along, and when I fetch u-boot/arm, these commits will just be
already there.

So what am I missing?

Amicalement,
--