[U-Boot] hashtable lib and escaping

Mats Kärrman Mats.Karrman at tritech.se
Mon Nov 5 14:34:52 CET 2012

Thanks for your advice.
I did not say so, but I'm primarily relying on the default environment and not so much the command line. I see now how to make this work by providing the necessary amount of backslash'es. Maybe it was your statement:

> THis syntax has never been correct.  If it ever worked, than only by
> chance (read: because of incorrect/imperfect code).

that set me off wrong, because in 2009.03 (before the introduction of hashtable) it did work and there were no confusing parsing of escapes.
Still the parsing I see now is not exactly user friendly, example (U-Boot 2012.07):

    => setenv foo echo part one\\\;echo part two
    => print foo
    foo=echo part one\\;echo part two
    => run foo
    part one\;echo part two
    => printenv foo
    foo=echo part one\\;echo part two
    => printenv
    <snip>
    foo=echo part one\\\\;echo part two
    <snip>

here the run and print commands yields the expected result based on the setenv but not "printenv" alone, and my results does not match your example which were

>        => setenv foo echo part one\\\;echo part two ; print foo ; run foo
>        foo=echo part one\;echo part two
>        part one;echo part two

Best Regards,
Mats