[U-Boot] any value in defining specifically a beagleboard xM config file?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 12 12:16:51 CET 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1211111011200.23677 at oneiric> you wrote:
> >
> >   i'll guess this topic has come up before but is there any value
> > in defining a config file explicitly for the beagle xM, which
> > differs from the beagle classic primarily in that it has no
> > onboard flash?
>
> Short answer: no.
>
> >   would there be any value in defining an omap3_beagle_xm.h file
> > that simply includes the current beagle file, then undefines any
> > settings related to flash?  i can't imagine that would be hard to
> > do.
>
> Adding another board config file or just such a slightly different
> configuration indeed makes no sense.  However, adding such a config
> option (plus the needed #ifdef's in the existing board config file)
> may make a lot of sense.  All you need to do is add such a line to
> boards.cfg (plus the #ifdef's tp omap3_beagle.h

  ok, i'll take a look at that, that makes sense.  from my perspective
(which could be massively misguided), the lack of NAND flash going
from beagle classic to beagle xM isn't a small change.  the lack of
NAND flash means that quite a number of u-boot commands are no longer
necessary.  what would be useful is some sort of single global config
setting that means "i have no NAND flash", and have all the proper
dependencies process that correctly.

> Hm... I'm no beagleboard xpert - but if I'm reading the "if gpio
> input 173; then run userbutton_xm; ..." scripting correctly, then
> it's even possible to detect the XM board at runtime, so eventually
> you don;t even need a zeparte configuration?

  that "gpio" test is useful to identify an xM at *runtime*, but it
doesn't do anything to address the compile-time configuration.  unless
i'm misunderstanding something.

  anyway, i'll putter around in the code and see if there's a simple
and elegant solution.  as you suggested, the boards.cfg solution looks
like the simplest possibility.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca