[U-Boot] wanting a couple clarifications on the boards.cfg file

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Nov 13 12:06:41 CET 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Henrik Nordström wrote:

> mån 2012-11-12 klockan 12:43 -0500 skrev Robert P. J. Day:
> >   after some playing around, i think i have a pretty good handle on
> > the structure and usage of the boards.cfg file, except for what are
> > apparently some oddities (not errors, just redundancies in some
> > sense).
> >
> >   first, with lines like this:
> >
> > apx4devkit     arm      arm926ejs   apx4devkit     bluegiga       mxs   apx4devkit
> > m28evk         arm      arm926ejs   m28evk         denx           mxs   m28evk
> > mx28evk        arm      arm926ejs   mx28evk        freescale      mxs   mx28evk
> >
> > that last field would seem to be redundant, since the default value is
> > just the name of the first (target) field, correct?
>
> It can be different.
>
> Does not need to be specified when it's the same.

  right, that was the point i was trying to clarify -- that there is
no value in specifying the board value in the final config options
field if it's *exactly* the same as the target name.

  i point this out only for the sake of someone (like me) new to
looking at boards.cfg and wondering if there is some subtle difference
in doing those two things.  it's simply a matter of visual
consistency, nothing more.

> >   also odd is something like this:
> >
> > mx31ads        arm         arm1136     -     freescale      mx31
> > mx31pdk        arm         arm1136     -     freescale      mx31         mx31pdk:NAND_U_BOOT
> >
> >   given that nothing else in the entire file refers to mx31pdk, it
> > seems overly complicated for mx31pdk to refer to its own config file,
> > only to add a preprocessor definition.
>
> Yes, but syntax do not allow specifying defines without a config name I
> think.

  i'm pretty sure that's true -- i just thought it was a bit strange
to have a config file that is used by only one target and yet has
additional defines added to it.  (my first guess was that there was
once some other board that also used "mx31pdk" as a basis, but that's
just a guess.)

  anyway, i think i have my questions answered, thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca