[U-Boot] [SPL mode] Question

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Thu Nov 15 16:51:37 CET 2012

Hi Stefano,

I've got some questions about Falcon mode and spl export command.

I've looked into the ./common/cmd_spl.c at master branch
SHA1: 59852d03867108217fe88e3bfc3e1e9cedfe63c5

Correct me if I'm wrong (or I've overlooked something).
It looks that, this file version is a very early version.

After reading "Falcon" mode README - I'd expect, that "spl export" will
write either ATAGS or FDT to NAND (or any other memory).
For this file it doesn't do that. Am I missing some additional patches?

Since you stated, that Falcon mode is only (now) supported on NAND
memory, I'd like to ask if it is acceptable to extend cmd_spl.c to
write ATAGS/FDT image to eMMC or (better) to partition formatted as EXT4
of FAT?

I can imagine a following scenario:

1. Use u-boot to generate ATAGS (from bootcmd args defined for board
or cmd line parameters) or FDT blob with "spl export". Store it on a
partition or eMMC.

2. Use SPL (second stage bootloader) to parse this blob, place ATAGS or
FDT accordingly, read uImage and pass execution to it.

What is your opinion?

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung Poland R&D Center | Linux Platform Group