[U-Boot] Unified u-boot feature set for simpler distro support

Peter Maydell peter.maydell at linaro.org
Sat Aug 3 12:08:57 CEST 2013

On 3 August 2013 08:11, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> when it comes to memory addressing a distro and user shouldn't need to
> know anything. Ideally u-boot will auto allocate addresses based on the
> size of loaded objects. starting with a base address internal to u-boot
> you load a kernel, when loading an initramfs u-boot automatically
> calculates an address that ensures it does not overlap with the kernel.
> same for a fdt if loaded. I say auto calculated because what we think
> today will be enough room may not be tomorrow, dynamically calculating
> gives the flexibility for whatever may come.

I looked into doing this for QEMU's boot loader once. I wasn't
able to come up with a solution because there's no way given
a zImage to determine how big it will be uncompressed, so all
you can do is make a best-guess about where to put other things.
Maybe I missed a way to do this cleanly though?

thanks
-- PMM