[U-Boot] Unified u-boot feature set for simpler distro support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 5 22:43:39 CEST 2013

Dear Dennis,

In message <20130805145059.14c35ebf at adria.ausil.us> you wrote:

> right, but at the least it needs to be ext4 not all boards today read
> ext4, btrfs may be something down the road also. u-boot doesnt need to
> care too much. it just needs to look in / and /boot

Where exactly do you raw the line here?  Do we have to support RAID /
DM devices, too?  What about LVM?  If you look for "regular system
usage", using such technologies is more or less standard today.  Will
we need that?

> > The rest of the stuff (swap, LVM, ...) seems entirely related to the
> > distro itself and/or whatever gets put into the initrd.
> Mostly i was trying to show that where the other bits live doesn't
> matter.

Well, what about the case where /boot resides - say - on a multi-drive
RAID1 array?

> While this is a step forward, its still much more than we need to do
> if we enable pxe support and use sysboot to load a config file the
> says load this kernel and initramfs and pass these bootargs. My
> initial post had a fully working example.

Is my understanding correct that boot times are only a secondary
concern to you, if any?

> for fedora 20 i plan to use raw MLO support for OMAP and have it load
> the u-boot.img from the first bootable partition. SuSE are doing this

Please look into Tom's proposal to got the SPL / Falcon mode way. I
fully agre with him there.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Where people stand is not as important as which way they face.
        - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_