[U-Boot] Unified u-boot feature set for simpler distro support

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Aug 5 23:00:11 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 02:49:58PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 02:43 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Please look into Tom's proposal to got the SPL / Falcon mode way. I
> > fully agre with him there.
>
> From my reading of doc/README.falcon, in order to use it, you still must
> set everything up in order to do a full non-falcon boot, and then simply
> save a serialized version of the zImage/DTB/bootargs/... using a special
> U-Boot command.

You must setup a certain amount of things, yes.  And from what you've
documented in the i2c thread about the Tegra orer, it depends a bit on
the SoC.

[snip]
> And also, if a distro installs an updated kernel, how does it tell
> U-Boot to invalidate the previously serialized data that falcon mode
> uses to boot, and re-create it using the new kernel image?

Dirty "secret" time, with device trees, it's just the device tree we
loaded, with whatever run-time fixups are done.  Doing this from the
Linux side is a solvable problem.

> So to me, falcon mode seems like a somewhat unrelated topic, and purely
> an optimization.

Yes, it's an optimization that I would like to see taken advantage of.
I like the speed at which my laptop boots into Linux, and I would like
to see that just as much if I was using an ARM board in a generic laptop
enclosure.

--
Tom