[U-Boot] Merging multiple ARM start.S files, what about copyright lines?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Wed Aug 7 09:23:18 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I am continuing my effort to merge all arch/arm/cpu/**/start.S files
into a single arch/arm/cpu/start.S one, keeping as little cpu-specific
code as I can.

However, there is a non-technical issue: there are many copyright lines
in the files, plus in some case "inherited copyright" when the file's
code comes from some other source. Many of these copyright lines are
repeated across series of CPUs.

How should I handle this in the final file?

The quickest, and preferred by me, way would be to create the new file
with all copyright lines simply "merged", and rely on the git repo to
find out who contributed what.

I could also put one "copyright lines block" per original start.S file.
That would help make quite a big copyrights section.

And there are certainly many other ways I could do it.

But IANAL (AIDPOOTV, either) and I prefer gathering some input from
people who have more experience in this area than I do.

So... any advice welcome on how I should proceed on this point. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.