[U-Boot] Unified u-boot feature set for simpler distro support

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sat Aug 10 00:20:06 CEST 2013

On 08/03/2013 01:11 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion on defining a unified feature set that
> makes it simpler for the different distros to support ARM systems using
> u-boot. I have based a lot of my thoughts on how calxeda ship their
> systems configured as it works fairly well, recently i sent in a patch
> implementing most of what I would like to see for the wandboard[1]

There's also the possibility of chain-loading e.g. Grub from U-Boot,
which I think would satisfy at least some of your desires, although
there would still be a need for U-Boot's bootcmd to know to modified to
be able to load Grub, and also enable e.g. CONFIG_API, so still needs
some U-Boot work.

https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Kernel/GRUBonUBOOT

I got it working pretty easily on one Tegra board...

An advantage would be familiar config file format and UI.