[U-Boot] [U-boot] fastboot command question

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Aug 22 17:26:06 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:30:15PM +0800, TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn wrote:

> Hi, experts:
>
> Why not include cmd_fastboot.c in common directory in 2013.07 release
> package?
>
> Because of code license?
>
> Or other reason?

It's technical reasons.  I pointed our legal folks at:
https://gitorious.org/rowboat/u-boot/blobs/am335x-master-android-ics/common/cmd_fastboot.c
as an example of the question about licenses, and the answer is:

"Yeah, this is an example of why I don't like mixing licensing in a
file. It gets confusing. Here is the way I read it:

This file is GPLv2+ but contains BSD code. The only restriction is
really on the BSD portion. Normally BSD would allow you to release
object only and not have to provide the source. As there is a GPLv2
header on it the source would have to be provided. The + on the GPL
really has no effect on the file per se.

I would say the license of this file is GPLv2+ and 2 Clause BSD like you
said. Seems OK as long as you are using it somewhere where using GPL is
OK with you.."

So, if someone would like to take one of the "fastboot" implementations
that is GPLv2 and 2 Clause BSD and make it clean enough to merge, I'd be
quite happy to review and get it in.

--
Tom