[U-Boot] [U-boot] legacy multi-component image format

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Mon Aug 26 15:56:28 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 04:02:50PM +0800, TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn wrote:

> Hi, experts:
>
> I am studying bootm procedure.
>
> In common/image.c, boot_get_fdt() function will parse IH_TYPE_MULTI
> format image.
>
> But i could not find any doc describing legacy multi-component image
> format!
>

> Could anybody provide me a doc?
>
> Thanks a lot!

So, there's no specific documentation for it as it's described by the
help on mkimage.  But a real life example (since I dug one up in the
past) is:
$ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T multi -C none -a 80008000 -e 80008000 -n
am335x-multi -d /tftpboot/v3.11.0-rc5/zImage:/tftpboot/ramdisk-pm.gz:/tftpboot/v3.11.0-rc5/am335x-bone.dtb /tftpboot/v3.11.0-rc5/uImage-multi

Which will create /tftboot/v3.11.0-rc5/uImage-multi with a zImage,
ramdisk and single DT file.  Now note!  While with a just kernel image
you can load it anywhere in memory and a bad overlap between load and
entry point will be overlooked (we can move thigns around safely), with
a multi-part you'll see:
WARNING: legacy format multi component image overwritten
And then likely failure.  So you need to load things well out of the
way.

--
Tom