[U-Boot] SPL boot on iMX6

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Aug 27 15:00:03 CEST 2013

Hi Tapani,

On 27/08/2013 06:07, Tapani Utriainen wrote:

> Your suggestion is similar to what I would first think of, but you do
> the extra kludging to make it work with the current syntax. My approach
> would be to introduce new namings in parallel to the current ones
> (similar, if not the same, as the linux kernel uses) until most imx6
> boards have been cleaned to use the new namings (which might take a while).

We will see when you post patches. My concern is that very often old
code remains unchanged and nobody takes care of it. If there is no
compatibility approach, we should try to clean up all boards.

Can you also take a look at the Troy's patches, mentioned by Eric ?

> For the accessor macro, our experiences from the Wandboard kernel have been
> very positive with the following:
>
> To set the above mentioned pad, the board file does:
>
> 	IMX6_SETUP_PAD( SD2_DAT1__USDHC2_DAT1 );
>
> where the macro IMX6_SETUP_PAD is defined as:
>
> #define IMX6_SETUP_PAD(p) \
> 	if (cpu_is_mx6q()) \
> 		mxc_iomux_v3_setup_pad(MX6Q_PAD_##p);\
> 	else \
> 		mxc_iomux_v3_setup_pad(MX6DL_PAD_##p)

Sure, I thought something like that, too.

> Of course the syntax can be different. One experience is that this de-clutters
> the board file (compared with having arrays and arrays of padconf definitions).

It is interesting how much the footprint increases.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de