[U-Boot] U-Boot Bug with newer GCC

Jeroen Hofstee jeroen at myspectrum.nl
Sat Feb 2 12:25:18 CET 2013

Hello Wolfgang,

On 02/01/2013 10:42 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Jeroen Hofstee,
>
> In message <510BFE48.3060206 at myspectrum.nl> you wrote:
>> Hi Wolfgang,

>>> We have been using GCC 4.7.2 for several months now, on many systems.
>>> No such problems have been reported before, so I speculate if this is
>>> really a problem with mainline code?
>> The twister board has the same problem, tested
>> 4e5eb45898b6f05fef3a4690399726c03bc1f398 with twister_config /
>> eldk 5.3 on a twister board (and it traps). So it does occur in mainline,
> Interesting - did you ever report this problem on the mailing list?
> I cannot find any such information in the archives.  When was this
> observed for the dfirst time?

no, I haven't (did bother people on irc with it though). I saw it about a
month ago or so.  One of the things I tried was to find a working release,
but v2012.04 also traps. Since the arm relocation change is before that,
I didn't test earlier releases.

> So you think it's ARM specific?

Well I though so at least, currently I am in the dark actually. I will
have a
look at Sebastian's suggestion that it could be the linker script /
variable placement. What I recall is that:

It traps at a strlen function in the command completion routine. Arguments
/ registers are nonsense, so it is not a simple unaligned access. Inserting
printfs / making unrelated changes can make it go away, change the trap
etc. So currently I only know that something is wrong somewhere. With
gcc from eldk 5.2.1 things work as expected.

> Sebastian - I think you did not mention yet which SoC you're using -
> is this also ARM?
He mentioned it, it is an arm-1136jfs.

Regards,

Jeroen