[U-Boot] how to configure u-boot to tell me more about NAND flash?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Feb 5 14:37:20 CET 2013

   a few basic questions about a board i don't have access to right
this minute but did yesterday and will later today.  it's an AM1808
experimenter kit lookalike except that it has (allegedly) had its NOR
flash replaced with 2G of NAND flash, and i want to figure out what i
can add to the current u-boot da850evm configuration to let me poke
around and get all the info i can on that flash because there seems to
be something strange about the current setup.

   first, when i let the board boot fully into linux, "dmesg" told me this:

"NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xdc (Micron NAND 512MiB
3,3V 8-bit)"

   that appears to tell me 512M of NAND flash, not 2G.  i asked
someone who was initially adamant that there was 2G but promised to
check with the H/W folks to make absolutely sure.  is there a possible
reason why 2G would show up only as 512M in dmesg?  (not really a
u-boot question, just wondering.)

   next, the u-boot that was on the board didn't have the "flinfo"
command so i created my own board based on the da850evm version that
was currently being used, defined CONFIG_CMD_FLASH, rebuilt,
reflashed, came up to u-boot so first check for flash (oh, u-boot
version is 2010.12, so i can do some substantial upgrading later):

rday > nand info

Device 0: nand0, sector size 128 KiB
rday >

   ok, that looks good, at least u-boot sees a NAND device.  but now:

rday > flinfo
rday >

   should "flinfo" not tell me about my flash? do i need another
config setting for this micron flash chip (whose identity is still a
bit of a mystery)?

   finally, i ran "mtdparts" to get:

rday > mtdparts
mtdids not defined, no default present
rday >

so i guess i'll add mtdids in later when i get my hands on the board again.

   main question -- should flinfo not tell me about my flash?  what
might this configuration be missing?  i should have access to the
board in an hour or two.  thanks.

rday