[U-Boot] how to configure u-boot to tell me more about NAND flash?

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Feb 5 18:50:27 CET 2013

On 02/05/2013 07:37:20 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   a few basic questions about a board i don't have access to right
> this minute but did yesterday and will later today.  it's an AM1808
> experimenter kit lookalike except that it has (allegedly) had its NOR
> flash replaced with 2G of NAND flash, and i want to figure out what i
> can add to the current u-boot da850evm configuration to let me poke
> around and get all the info i can on that flash because there seems
> to be something strange about the current setup.
>
>   first, when i let the board boot fully into linux, "dmesg" told me
> this:
>
> "NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xdc (Micron NAND
> 512MiB 3,3V 8-bit)"
>
>   that appears to tell me 512M of NAND flash, not 2G.  i asked
> someone who was initially adamant that there was 2G but promised to
> check with the H/W folks to make absolutely sure.  is there a
> possible reason why 2G would show up only as 512M in dmesg?  (not
> really a u-boot question, just wondering.)

Is it possible you have 4 chips, each of which are 512 MiB?

If that's not it, probably the ID table is wrong.  Maybe they're using
the same ID for multiple sizes now (it's not exactly a large
numberspace), and expecting you to use ONFI or other ID bytes to
determine the actual size.

What does U-Boot print on boot, regarding NAND?

-Scott