[U-Boot] fw_env.config

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:57:43 CET 2013

Dear Dimitrios Siganos,

On 02/12/2013 11:43 PM, Dimitrios Siganos wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I's like to ask a couple of quick questions to clear a disagreement we
> have at the office.
>
> Is the file fw_env.config needed during compilation time to build u-boot?

No.

> Or is it in fact only needed at runtime by the tools fw_printenv/saveenv?

MTD setup in /etc/fw_env.config can be used by fw_printenv/saveenv, but
it depends on compile configuration of these tool(s). fw_printenv can be
compiled with integrated mtd setup and will then not parse the
configuration file.
But yes, the default is to have an /etc/fw_env.config which describes
the mtd setup for u-boot environment. At least this is the case for
distributed versions like in Debian.

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann