[U-Boot] imx6, spl and falcon boot

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Feb 18 22:56:36 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni at piout.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:44:36AM -0700, Chaves, Kevin wrote :
>> Ok is there documentation anywhere that can show the requirements for supporting SPL if I'd like to be able to implement it, same with falcon mode? I've already got support for nitrogen6x through another vendor but they won't support the spl.
>>
>> I'm taking a look at board/woodburn/woodburn.c to see what was done for another board that supports SPL. It just looks like void board_init_f(ulong dummy) needs to be implemented for the SPL.
>>
>> Someone recommend I look at another set of patch notes that have better docs, but I see it mostly has the falcon mode in it. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/146987/focus=147040
>>

> i.Mx6 doen't really require an SPL as the romcode is already able to do
> quite a lot. If what your are looking for is booting directly your
> kernel, you can have a look at that "bootloader" (it is actually much
> less than that):
>
> https://github.com/alexandrebelloni/whoosh
>
> It supports sabrelite and sabresd, it should be quite fast to port to
> nitrogen6x. I can do it but I don't have access to the hardware...yet.

The point of using the Falcon mode here would be to allow boot onto
interactive mode, when need, and boot fast by default. The whoosh goal
is *very* nice but it is different. :-)

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br