[U-Boot] timing issue - uboot freeze after pringing header

John Stile john at stilen.com
Tue Feb 19 22:12:09 CET 2013

Hello Bo Shen,
On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 11:06 +0800, Bo Shen wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 02/16/2013 12:45 AM, John Stile wrote:
> > I am trying to move from uboot-1.3.6 to uboot 2013.01, where the old
> > works, the new prints this before freezing:
> >
> >          U-Boot 2013.01 (Feb 14 2013 - 16:24:13)
> >
> >          CPU: AT91SAM9G20
> >          Crystal frequency:   18.432 MHz
> >          CPU clock        :  396.288 MHz
> >          Master clock     :  132.096 MHz
> >
> > My board is the at91sam9g20ek_2mmc.
> > at91bootstrap-1.1.6 loads uboot.
>
> Please update the at91bootstrap to new version.
> You can get the it from: git://github.com/linux4sam/at91bootstrap.git
> using tag: v3.5.2
> or master branch
>
> For new bootstrap, the memory map for NAND flash has changed. More
> information:
> http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/GettingStarted#Linux4SAM_NandFlash_demo_Memory
>
> So, you need flash u-boot to 0x40000 address, and change u-boot env as
> the memory map (I will send patches for this later).
>
> Best Regards,
> Bo Shen
>
> > I am trying both nandflash and dataflash versions, using
> > include/configs/at91sam9260ek.h
> >
> > Messing with settings I have got it back to a state of not printing
> > anything.

I was wrong. it isn't a timing issue.
In at91boostrap, I specified the wrong IMG_SIZE, and specifying the
correct size solved the problem.  I had only copied part of the binary
to SDRAM, which lead to the program sometimes showing the initial banner
before crashing.

In my situation, I use buildroot-2011.11, which downloads at91boostrap
from: ftp://www.at91.com/pub/at91bootstrap/ version
AT91Bootstrap1.16.zip, and though updates are the available I have
modified my st91boostrap and uboot, so upgrades are not so simple.