[U-Boot] M29EW flash is detected as 0xFF

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 18:25:24 CET 2013

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
> On 18.02.2013 10:57, Jagan Teki wrote:
>> I have a 16MB, M29EW flash on target boards.
>>
>> I got the below info, while probing the flash.
>>
>> Bank # 1: CFI conformant flash (8 x 8)  Size: 64 MB in 512 Sectors
>>   AMD Standard command set, Manufacturer ID: 0xFF, Device ID: 0xFF
>>   Erase timeout: 4096 ms, write timeout: 2 ms
>>   Buffer write timeout: 5 ms, buffer size: 1024 bytes
>>
>> Since the Manu.ID of this flash is 0x89, it got detected as 0xFF.
>>
>> Does u-boot code have a support for M29EW flash..?
>
> I'm pretty sure, yes. Which U-Boot version are you using? Most likely
> its an older version. Your problem reminds me about this commit:
>
> Author: Philippe De Muyter <phdm at macqel.be>  2010-08-10 16:54:52
> Committer: Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de>  2010-08-18 09:09:00
> Parent: 2e97394a6d07a36dfc139b7b98b12e452b5bd8dc (cfi_flash: flinfo:
> allow user interrupt in flash print info fn)
> Child:  70084df7125a0b67de707b999982ec67adfdc35c (cfi_flash: Cleanup
> flash_print_info())
> Branches: many (98)
> Follows: v2010.06
> Precedes: v2010.09-rc1
>
>     Fix printing & reading of 16-bit CFI device identifiers
>
>     Fix reading and printing of CFI flashes 16-bit devices identifiers
>
>     Nowadays CFI flashes have a 16-bit device identifier.  U-boot still
>     print them and read them as if they were only 8-bit wide.  Fix that.
>     Before:
>       Intel Extended command set, Manufacturer ID: 0x89, Device ID: 0x1B
>     After:
>       Intel Extended command set, Manufacturer ID: 0x89, Device ID: 0x881B
>
> So please update to the latest version and try again.

Sorry for not intimating the version I used, actually I am using the
latest u-boot version 2013.01.01
Below link the head commit for cfi_flash.c
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=d2af028db3f75390f56f018e16c0f269521e07c5

I am not sure whats wrong with code for detecting the m/c ID.

Please let me know your inputs.

Thanks,
Jagan.