[U-Boot] FDT howto

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:03:57 CET 2013

Hi All,

I am planning to use devicetree on u-boot.
I have an experience to work with devicetree on Linux.

For u-boot, I have read doc from doc/README.fdt-control.
I see some dts usages on tegra boards.

I have lot of confusions with the concept itself.

Is Linux and u-boot devicetree concept and build system are same?

Suppose I have 4 boards J1, J2, J3 & J4 on my soc "emb".of vendor "vast"
   For this requirement I have
   board/vast/dts/J1.dts
   board/vast/dts/J2.dts
   board/vast/dts/J3.dts
   board/vast/dts/J4.dts

   include/configs/emb_common.h ==> single configuration of all SOC
needed definitions
   like defconfig in Linux.

   do I need any more files?

   In emb_common.h i am defining
   CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE is it sufficient?

   My plan is to build u-boot and then build the dtb with specific
board and then combine.

I saw that all tegra boards config files are defining
CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE if ie. the case dts is a compile time
option right.
am i correct?

Please let me know your inputs.

--