[U-Boot] [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 21 21:18:41 CET 2013

Dear Stephen,

In message <51267E0A.3060204 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> > so.  Just consider the typical "diskless" system that boots over the
> > network, using DHCP + TFTP, where the server will provide a single
> > file only.
>
> I use TFTP routinely to boot my boards, and load separate zImage and DTB
> files from the server without issue, using the exact same filenames as
> when I load them from a /boot directory on eMMC or SD.

You may do this in a development environment; I do the same routinely
here.  But there are users out there who commission large
installations like that; they simply do not want to have multiple
files for each system (and not even for each configuration).

> And besides, there's always some script, whether it's a boot.scr file or
> built into the U-Boot environment.

Not really - especially not when booting using Falcon mode.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you can't beat it or corrupt it, you pretend it was your  idea  in
the first place.                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_