[U-Boot] Problems around fatwrite command from uboot

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Fri Feb 22 08:30:37 CET 2013

Hi Jean,

> Hi,
>
> I use the last uboot from your git and boot with it on AM3517 EVM
> from SD card
> without NAND.
>
> I use this option in uboot config : #define CONFIG_FAT_WRITE 1
>
> I use intensively fatload / fatwrite commands at the boot before
> kernel loading.
>
> Sometimes, in about 2% of cases of boot, the FAT becomes inconsistent
> and I have
> systematically these messages at boot when I use fatwrite command :
>
> U-Boot 2013.01-gd3b9a66-dirty (Feb 21 2013 - 11:02:33)
> writing MODIFYME.001
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear

Those kind of errors are caused by exceeding timeout for receiving
response from your SD card.

Could you try with other (different manufacturer) card?

It seems like card/vendor specific - it depends on the firmware on the
SD card.

Please look into a similar thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/150636/match=rfc+mmc+fix+increase+timeout+value+sdhci_send_command

> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> mmc_send_cmd: timedout waiting on cmd inhibit to clear
> 42428 bytes written

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung R&D Poland (SRPOL) | Linux Platform Group