[U-Boot] fw_setenv on protected flash

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri Feb 22 09:34:24 CET 2013

Hi Dirk,

On 22.02.2013 09:18, Eibach, Dirk wrote:
> Some of your recent cfi flash driver enhancements have made flash
> protect/unprotect work on our NOR based platforms (S29GL512). Good news
> so far, but as a consequence fw_setenv is woking no more:
> MTD erase error on /dev/mtd5: Input/output error
> Error: can't write fw_env to flash
>
> Also flash_unlock from mtd_utils is not doing the trick:
> Could not unlock MTD device: /dev/mtd5
>
> Unprotecting flash in u-boot before booting linux makes this work, but
> this is probably no good idea.
>
> So what is the recommended workflow for fw_setenv on protected flash?

Linux support for this enhanced sector protection (PPB) has just been
accepted into mainline Linux. You need include this patch if you are
working with an older kernel version:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213602/

And you also need to enable this feature in your dts file as described
in the patch description.

Thanks,
Stefan