[U-Boot] compiled failed when turned off gcc optimazition

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 1 21:51:42 CEST 2013

Dear Mike Dunn,

In message <51D1C455.9010801 at newsguy.com> you wrote:

> But there's a good motivation for wanting to turn off optimization.

I disagree here.  If you are hunting down a problem, you want to be as
close at the original code as possible.  Disabling optimization is
such a dramatic change to the generated code that you actually debug a
different program.

> Single-stepping with a debugger at the C source level is almost useless.  I've
> since gotten better at single-stepping at the assembly level while using the
> mixed c and assembly view of gdb.

Hm... Did you read up the documentation, say [1], and try out these
recommendations?

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/DebuggingTricks

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You've no idea of what a poor opinion  I  have  of  myself,  and  how
little I deserve it.                                  - W. S. Gilbert