[U-Boot] [RFC] Supporting multiple variants of an SoC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 2 23:47:35 CEST 2013

Dear Stephen Warren,

In message <51D314DB.2010702 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> Can there be a single generic binary, which is configured at run-time
> by device-tree? Tegra and at least some Samsung Exynos boards (snow I
> guess) seem headed that way, although the conversion is nowhere near
> complete and hasn't yet covered the specific differences you listed above.

One problem here is that - so far - we cannot support multiple storage
devices for the environment at the same time, so a single bbinary
cannot work with environment in NAND or on SDCard.  This is a pity,
but I feel the best way to fix this includes fixing the device driver
model first.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Either one of us, by himself, is expendable.  Both of us are not.
	-- Kirk, "The Devil in the Dark", stardate 3196.1