[U-Boot] compiled failed when turned off gcc optimazitionAT

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Jul 5 16:00:19 CEST 2013

Hi TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn,

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 18:31:50 +0800, <TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, experts:
>
> Would any expert fix this question?
>
> It seems related MOVW instruction's usuage when turning off gcc
> optimazition.
>

> If i just turned on "-O1" or "-O2", still failed to compile uboot code.

I have seen the issue arise, and looked it up with the help of Jeroen
Hofstee (Cc:). It is somehow related to the fact that on ARM, U-Boot
(especially the DM) relies on ARM ELF relocation records all being of
the R_ARM_RELATIVE type, while for -O{0,1,2} the compiler generates
(some) MOVW-related relocation record types.

I have local branches related to this. I need to go through them and
will post them but not for 2013.07 as these are not fixes, and there
is no bug per se since U-Boot is supposed to build with -Os, not
-O{0,1,2}.

> Best wishes,

Amicalement,
--