[U-Boot] Fwd: U-Boot 2013.04: himport_r: can't insert "..."into hash table

Thomas O'Hara tomo.ixelec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:38:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am using u-Boot 2013.04 to boot an AT91SAM9263-based board. I use a
GCC/uClibc cross compiler which I updated to use GCC-4.7.3 and came across
a strange problem (see attached log files).

uBoot_GCC-4.7.1.log    - Bootstrap built with GCC-4.7.3
                                   - uBoot built with cross-compiler based
on GCC-4.7.1
                                   - Kernel built with GCC-4.7.3

uBoot_GCC-4.7.3a.log  - Bootstrap built with GCC-4.7.3
                                   - uBoot is built with GCC-4.7.3 and
throws the hash table error shown
                                   - Kernel built with GCC-4.7.3

uBoot_GCC-4.7.3b.log  - Bootstrap built with GCC-4.7.3
                                   - uBoot is built with GCC-4.7.3 and
halts after the "using default environment" message shown
                                   - Kernel built with GCC-4.7.3

The uBoot source code is the same for all builds. The hash-tables problem
seems to have occurred in the past with uBoot-2010.12. I tested the builds
on 10 different boards and 8 resulted in the uBoot_GCC-4.7.3b log while 2
resulted in the uBoot_GCC-4.7.3a log. All 10 boards worked correctly when
uBoot was built with the GCC-4.7.1 based cross compiler.

Initially I assumed that the fault was with the compiler but both the
bootstrap and the kernel compile and run fine, only uBoot fails.

I did some further investigation and discovered that when the GCC/uClibc
cross-compiler is built with the following sources, uBoot builds and runs
correctly.

binutils-2.22
gcc-4.7.1
gmp-5.0.5
linux-3.6.11
mpc-1.0
mpfr-3.1.1
uClibc-0.9.33.2

When the GCC/uClibc cross-compiler is built with the following sources,
uBoot builds without error but does not run.

binutils-2.23
gcc-4.7.2
gmp-5.0.5
linux-3.6.11
mpc-1.0.1
mpfr-3.1.1
uClibc-0.9.33.2

I'm continuing to narrow this down but I was wondering if anyone has
already come across this and could help me resolve it more quickly.

Cheers,

Tom

--
Life, liberty and...