[U-Boot] Setting Ethernet Speed in NFS boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 16 12:10:33 CEST 2013

Dear Sandeep C R,

please keep the mailing list on Cc:

also, please do ot top post / full quote - see [1] if you need help
with that.

[1] http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

In message <CAEX5Uh-NHWq86Xy4AwzYe=QEYqTWOB3bVCE+fiWNd4-eZQB=UA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> my question is, whether it is possible to do that. I want to make my
> powerpc embedded system work at 10mbps and my host computer where nfs is
> mounted also at 10mbps. But since in uboot, initially there is no
> configuration for speed, i think my powerpc is running at 100 and is trying
> to mount an nfs which is at 10. How this can be solved.

Instead of speculationg, you should analyze the situation.  On the
host side, you can check the link status for example by using ethtool,
or simply by looking for the driver messages in the system logs.  On
the target, you can use the "mii" command to read the PHY status.

Second, you really should NOT attempt to meddle manually with the
speed settings.  As I wrote before:

> > No, you don't want to do that.  You want to use autonegotiation
> > instead.
> >
> > Please read the related FAQs (and for example the wikipedia article
> > about autonegotiation and why you run into a lot of problems when not
> > trying to force specific modes, especially when doing so on one side
> > of the link only).

If autonegotiation should not be working correctly for you, then there
is a problem, and you need to fix that, either way.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perl itself is  usually  pretty  good  about  telling  you  what  you
shouldn't do. :-)     - Larry Wall in <11091 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>