[U-Boot] Boot Linux kernel with initramfs fails

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 18 10:15:10 CEST 2013

Dear Axel Lin,

In message <1374128157.12431.9.camel at phoenix> you wrote:

> When I boot Linux kernel with FIT Image, the kernel does not unpacking initramfs.
> ( The root cause is "initrd_start is NULL".)

That's probably because you don't tell Linux that there is a ramdisk.

> The initramfs is built-in with kernel, so I don't specify ramdisk in my
> kernel.its file.

And on the kernel command line?

> Below is part of my boot messages:

Unfortunately you don;t include so critical information like the
actual kernel command line.

> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

You appear to have other problems as well.

> (Test on latest u-boot git tree.)

Which exact board / configuration is this?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"An organization dries up if you don't challenge it with growth."
       - Mark Shepherd, former President and CEO of Texas Instruments