[U-Boot] [RFC][DFU] Unification of dfu_alt_info alt settings description + command execution

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Jul 18 17:10:05 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Dear Heiko Schocher,
>
> In message <51E77A1D.90403 at denx.de> you wrote:
> > > Try "nand write.trimffs" to write UBI images produced with ubinize .
> >
> > This solves not the erasecounter problem, or?
> >
> > For UBI we need something like this:
> > http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_flasher_algo
> >
> > But I am not an UBI expert. It is possible I overlook something
> > obvious ...
>
> No, you don't.  Devices managed by UBI should never be erased by
> other, non-UBI-aware tools.

I based my reply on the following commit in U-Boot and the fact that
write.trimffs is used to flash UBI images. Maybe I was wrong?

commit c9494866df835bcee68e17339aec1090faa704da
Author: Ben Gardiner <bengardiner at nanometrics.ca>
Date:   Tue Jun 14 16:35:07 2011 -0400

    cmd_nand: add nand write.trimffs command

    Add another nand write. variant, trimffs. This command will request of
    nand_write_skip_bad() that all trailing all-0xff pages will be
    dropped from eraseblocks when they are written to flash as-per the
    reccommended behaviour of the UBI FAQ [1].

    The function that implements this timming is the drop_ffs() function
    by Artem Bityutskiy, ported from the mtd-utils tree.

    [1] http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_flasher_algo

Best regards,
Marek Vasut