[U-Boot] [U-boot] failed to boot an compressed u-boot.bin

TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn
Fri Jul 19 08:59:47 CEST 2013

Hi, Albert:
I found new u-boot source code had some PIC related question.
I succeeded to boot self-uncompressed u-boot.bin now.

I reviewed self-uncompressed header code (similar with Linux kernel
piggy header), found:
The header code would de-compress compressed uboot.bin to 0x0000 8000
dram location, and then jump to run it.

Because i compiled uboot with "SYS_TEXT_BASE=0x03F80000" in board.cfg
before.
So boot failed.

Now, I changed SYS_TEXT_BASE=0x08000000 in boards.cfg.
So, boot the compressed u-boot.bin successfully!

Best wishes,

>Hi, Albert:
>The DRAM address map is : 0 --- 0x1000 0000 (256MB) on my ARM
development >board.

>I configured "CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE = 0x03F80000" in config.mk  when
>compiling u-boot source code.
>
>The self-uncompressed code also put the uncompressed image at
0x03F80000

>Best wishes,
>On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:53:10 +0800, <TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, experts:
> Sorry!
> Not self-compressed, it is self-uncompressed !
> I tried to add a self-uncompressed header in u-boot.bin on a Cortex-A9
> single core platform.
> Then, i tried to boot it.
> But failed in board_init_f() function.
>
> Has anybody tried to boot a self-uncompressed u-boot.bin ?
> Best wishes,

IIUC, you then load that "header + u-boot.bin" in memory and it
decompresses itself. At what address does it place the uncompressed
load?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.