[U-Boot] can u-boot NFS mount my beaglebone rootfs over USB tether?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 22 00:34:58 CEST 2013

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Tom Rini wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 01:43:29PM -0700, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   in the end, i would *like* the host to have the IP address
> > 192.168.7.1, and the BBB to have the IP address 192.168.7.2, and
> > there's one other slight complication.
> >
> >   i can't assume the net connection will be represented by eth0 on the
> > host side -- it's entirely possible the host will already be on the
> > net, and eth0 will be in use, so i need to be prepared for the host to
> > use whatever ethX interface it prefers for 192.168.7.1.
> >
> >   so is there a way to, from within u-boot, kickstart that net
> > interface? if i can get that, i think everything else falls into
> > place. i'm trying to do this *strictly* through uEnv.txt since, in the
> > environment i'm designing for, there will be *no* access to the u-boot
> > prompt.
>
> I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to do right now.  But,
> the gadget ethernet works in U-Boot, just setenv ethact usb_ether.
> On the linux host side, it will be usb0 (or usb1 and so on).

  in a nutshell, i just want to do *all* my networking over the USB
tether ... TFTP kernel images, NFS mount rootfs, etc.

  i could have sworn i tried "setenv ethact usb_ether" earlier and
that didn't work, but i'll try it again. i posted a more detailed
explanation on the beagleboard list -- given my situation, the *only*
customization i can make to the BBB is to let it boot normally the
first time, then replace the uEnv.txt file in the FAT partition with
something new. i have no freedom to do anything else.

  so, along with that "setenv ethact usb_ether", how would the normal
ways to TFTP kernel images and NFS mount root filesystems change in
any way? how much more would i need to add to something like this?

setenv ethact usb_ether
autoload=no
serverip=192.168.7.1
ipaddr=192.168.7.2
rootpath=/home/rpjday/rootfs
uenvcmd=run netargs; bootm ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}

i know how to do *normal* TFTP and NFS, but i have no idea how any of
that changes in the context of using usb_ether.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca