[U-Boot] Extract data file from U-Boot image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 25 21:01:59 CEST 2013

Dear Guilherme Maciel Ferreira,

In message <CAF=5bWftE3UwPrOH+q+JPm-ag0igmAr_G4s=kLzhSObNhN=YyA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I made a patch to allow mkimage to extract files from images, which
> just works for multi-file image. But, the fact that nobody has ever
> done this means that this feature is not desired in the tool?

Speaking just for myself: I needed such features only in very rare
occasions, where it was way faster to use a one-liner on the command
line than to write any actual code.

YMMV...

But I fear that mkimage explodes from creaping featurism, so if you
go and implement something like this, please do not add it to kmimage,
but rather create a separate, new tool, say "dumpimage" or so.

> IMHO, it is very convenient to have a C code to do that, specially for
> embedded systems where scripting is noticeably slower than binary
> code. Besides it requires 'dd' to extract and another tool to parse
> file's offsets inside the image.

Well, when I was doing such things, I never did this on the embedded
targets, nor did I ever have to care about performance because I
always needed it just once or twice.

Could you please be so kind and feed my curiousity a bit: what exactly
are you doing that you need such a feature on the target?  I can't
think of useful applications at the moment...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
: ... and it's got weird formatting - Notepad, Write, Works  3  can't
: decipher it, and it's too big to go in DOS Edit. Help!
Install an operating system. :-)                  -- Tom Christiansen